Scout Network & Fellowship…
Scout Network is the fifth and final section of the Scouting movement.
From the time of Baden-Powell, there have been arrangements for young people who wanted to continue after their time in the Scout Section, and in 1967, Venture Scouts were formed from the existing Senior Scout and Rover Scout Sections.
During the late 1990s we decided that, to meet the changing needs of young people, there should be two sections for the over-14s: Explorer Scouts for 14 to 18-year-olds, and the Scout Network for 18 to 25s.
Scout Network gives opportunities to 18-25 year olds who have an interest in Scouting, their own personal development and having fun.
Scout Network members take part in a variety of activities, which they undertake and organise themselves under the leadership of a District Scout Network Commissioner and sometimes with the support of a Programme Coordinator.
The Programme is divided into three Programme Areas: Community, International and Adventure.
All young adults, that are members of the association and are aged between 18 and 25 in Scouting are members of the Scout Network.
This applies to members holding the following roles:
- Section Leader / Assistant Section Leader (all sections)
- Group Scout Leader / Assistant Group Scout Leader
- Scout Active Support Manager
- District Commissioner / Deputy District Commissioner / Assistant District Commissioner
- District Explorer Scout Commissioner
- District Scout Network Commissioner
- District Scouter / District Explorer Scout Leader
- County Commissioner / Deputy County Commissioner / Assistant County Commissioner (including Area/Region/Bailiwick alternatives)
- County Training Manager / Local Training Manager (including Area/Region/Bailiwick alternatives)
- County Scouter (including Area/Region/Bailiwick alternatives)
- Safguarding Awareness Co-ordinator
- County Media Manager (including Area/Region/Bailiwick alternatives)
- District and County Youth Commissioners
To find details of your nearest Scout Network contact the Information Centre firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Scout Network website
Launched in April 2016, the Scout Network website is a place for Network members to create projects, events and connect with like minded members from across the UK. Take a look: https://ukscoutnetwork.org.uk
From 2016 onwards, Members of all Scout Networks will not be required to pay the National Membership Subscription. In essence, this will mean that Scout Network will be ‘free’ to join. Of course, Districts and Counties may continue to charge local fees but we would encourage Districts and Counties to consider the appropriateness of this, bearing in mind that many Members of Scout Network will already be adult volunteers.
If you’re moving away from home, for study or for work, you can carry on Scouting through Scout Network (or as an adult volunteer) by informing your District Scout Network Commissioner that you are relocating. They will be able to put you in contact with the District Scout Network Commissioner for the area you are moving to and pass them your details. Over time, you will be able to manage ‘moving’ to another District via the UK Scout Network website.
The Scout Promise (Core)
On my honour, I promise that I will do my best
To do my duty to God and to the Queen,
To help other people
And to keep the Scout Law
Other alternative promises are available. For information visit POR Chapter 1 Fundamentals
The Scout Law
- A Scout is to be trusted.
- A Scout is loyal.
- A Scout is friendly and considerate.
- A Scout belongs to the world-wide family of Scouts.
- A Scout has courage in all difficulties.
- A Scout makes good use of time and is careful of possessions and property.
- A Scout has self- respect and respect for others.
The Scout Motto
Scout Network members wear an adult leader uniform with a Scout Network uniform badge. This consists of a stone shirt/blouse. Scout Network Members can choose to wear either the UK Scout Network Scarf or District Scout Network scarf (often called a necker).
The Scout Network flag is grey, bearing the Scout symbol and the Scout Motto.
This flag can be purchased from Scout Shops